The expedition selection exam begins.
Yūma masters the art of bicycle riding; Hyuse struggles in his first attempt. At Tamakoma Branch, Usami announces that the schedule for the expedition selection exam is up. The breakdown is orientation on March 13, main orientation on March 16, phase 1 on March 17, and phase 2 on March 24. Before orientation, Tamakoma Second must answer a survey of three questions:
- Do you wish to join the expedition?
- Other than teammates, with whom would you prefer to work on the expedition?
- With whom would you prefer not to work?
Osamu and Usami notice that none of Arashiyama Squad , except for Kitora are on the list, reasoning that due to their status as border's PR group they cannot participate. Osamu chooses Kitora, Kikuchihara, Izumi, Azuma, and Ninomiya to be on his list. Yūma chooses Midorikawa, Kageura, Kitazoe, Murakami, and Tōma. Hyuse chooses Azuma, Murakami, Inukai, and Mizukami. Usami chooses Hitomi and Kon.
On March 13, Tamakoma Second goes to the orientation session headed by Kido and Shinoda, where they find everyone from the B-rank mid-tier and above, including A-rank people. Osamu recalls Kido informing them that only A-rank Squad and the top two B-rank Squad would be present. Hyuse reminds Osamu that there could be individual B-rank agents chosen from other Squad .
Kido introduces himself and explains that the primary purpose of the exam was to test the agents' aptitude and determine the strongest Border agents. Even if agents who qualify for the expedition choose to opt out, their achievements in the exam will be duly noted. Shinoda introduces the two phases: the first is one week in a sealed environment, simulating the lengthy period in the expedition ship. Agents will learn how to operate the ship and be tested on their abilities in long-distance voyages. The second phase would be a long-term combat simulation lasting up to one and a half days. Shinoda then announces that Squad would be shuffled, and prepares to name the 11 captains of the provisional Squad .
Characters in Order of Appearance
Characters in italics are seen only briefly, and have yet to make a proper appearance.
- Yūma Kuga (Shown then Listed)
- Chika Amatori (Shown then Listed
- Osamu Mikumo
- Kirie Konami (Mentioned)
- Shiori Usami
- Jun Arashiyama (Mentioned)
- Mitsuru Tokieda (Mentioned)
- Ken Satori (Mentioned)
- Haruaki Azuma (Listed, Mentioned then later Shown)
- Asumi Amakura (Listed)
- Tetsuji Arafune (Listed then later Shown)
- Tatsuhito Ikoma (Listed then later Shown)
- Kōhei Izumi (Listed)
- Yukimaru Ichijō (Listed)
- Sumiharu Inukai (Listed, Mentioned then later Shown)
- Ai Kitora (Mentioned, Listed then later Shown)
- Haya Kittaka (Listed then later Shown)
- Saki Kusakabe (Listed)
- Yuu Kunichika (Listed)
- Yūko Kumagai (Listed then later Shown)
- Shun Midorikawa (Mentioned)
- Masato Kageura (Mentioned then later Shown)
- Hiro Kitazoe (Mentioned then later Shown)
- Kō Murakami (Mentioned then later Shown)
- Isami Tōma (Mentioned)
- Satoshi Mizukami (Mentioned then later Shown)
- Mako Hitomi (Mentioned then later Shown)
- Yuka Kon (Mentioned then later Shown)
- Yūichi Jin (Mentioned)
- Tamakoma First (Mentioned)
- Yuzuru Ema (Mentioned then later Shown)
- Izuho Natsume (Mentioned)
- Shirō Kikuchihara (Listed then later Shown)
- Takeru Yuiga (Mentioned)
- Sōya Kazama (Mentioned)
- Kyōko Sawamura
- Masamune Kido
- Masafumi Shinoda
- Shōhei Kodera
- Ryō Utagawa
- Suwa Squad
- Rest of Ōji Squad
- Yuba Squad
- Katori Squad
- Rest of Ninomiya Squad
- Rest of Ikoma Squad
- Arafune Squad
- Rest of Suzunari First
- Rest of Azuma Squad
- Sayoko Shiki
- Hikari Nire
- Urushima Squad (appearance/informal debut)
- Kakizaki Squad
Triggers in Order of Appearance
No Triggers were shown over the course of this chapter