Maki's thick ebony hair is styled in a bowlcut, her bangs swept briskly to the side to reveal thin, angled eyebrows. Occasionally she can be seen tucking those strands behind the ear. She wears the standard operator uniform consisting of a striped tie, collared shirt, and two-piece skirt/suit.
Maki exhibits a no-nonsense attitude, which can be seen by her initial reaction to the idea of judging the Expedition Selection Exams. This is also reflected in her grading ethics: while she is willing to give others a fair chance, there is no hesitancy in calling them out. Even other agents have cited her irascible, condescending nature as cause for avoidance when deducing possible candidates for team work. Despite all this, she does have the capacity to feel sympathy for others.
Fuyushima regards her as 'scary.' Both address her by her family name, Maki.
- (Concerning the Expedition Selection Exams) "We don't know anything about the tests... yet they expect us to predict the outcome? Nonsense... I just loathe being tested in such a haphazard, sloppy way."
- (Reacting to Mizukami altering the shared copy of the rules) "It's entirely possible that not sharing every last bit of data will give a leader more control over their underlings. That said... how audacious of him..."
- According to volume 9 extras, she likes:
- Pickled plums
- Keeping things tidy and in order
- She is extraordinary at chess.