Maki's thick ebony hair is styled into a bowlcut, her bangs swept briskly to the side to reveal thin, relaxed eyebrows. Occasionally she can be seen tucking those strands behind the ear. She wears the standard operator uniform consisting of a striped tie, collared shirt, and two-piece skirt/suit.
Maki exhibits a no-nonsense attitude, which can be seen by her initial reaction to the idea of judging the Away Mission Tests.  This is also reflected in her grading ethics: while she is willing to recognize commendable efforts through thorough judgement, there is little mercy in condemnation. Even fellow agents have cited her irascible, condescending nature as cause for avoidance when deducing candidates for team work; out of her teammates, she is considered most likely to engage in fiery speech. Despite all this, she does have the capacity to offer sympathy.
Fuyushima regards her as "scary." Both address her by her family name, Maki.
- (Concerning the Away Mission Tests) "We don't know anything about the tests... Yet they expect us to predict the outcome? Nonsense. [...] I just loathe being tested in such a haphazard, sloppy way." 
- (Reacting to Mizukami altering the shared copy of the rules) "It's entirely possible that not sharing every last bit of data will give a captain more control over their underlings. That said... how audacious of him..." 
- (Regarding Rokurō Wakamura) "Zero presence." 
- According to volume 9 extras, she likes:
- Pickled plums
- Keeping things tidy and in order
- She is extraordinary at chess.
- World Trigger Manga — Vol. 9, Volume Extras
- World Trigger Manga — Vol. 24 Character Profile
- World Trigger Manga — Chapter 206 (p. 8)
- World Trigger Manga — Chapter 206 (p. 7-8)
- World Trigger Manga — Chapter 219 (p. 10)
- World Trigger Manga — Chapter 223 (p. 11)
- World Trigger Manga — Chapter 207 (p. 37)
- World Trigger Manga — Chapter 209 (p. 6)
- World Trigger Manga — Vol. 23, Volume Extras
- World Trigger Manga — Chapter 223 (p. 13)
- World Trigger Manga — Chapter 206 (p. 13)
- Daisuke Ashihara: Q63: It seems Fuyushima-san was scouted by the operator Maki Risa and got his front-lines job, but how did Touma-san join? A: As he was idling around with no intention of forming a team, he was scolded by the then middle schooler Maki Risa to "do some work," started enjoying himself somehow and formed a team. Fuyushima-san joined after that.
Source: Border Briefing File, Question 63
- World Trigger Manga — Vol. 21, Volume Extras