A Black Trigger (黒トリガー, Burakku Torigā?) is an extraordinarily powerful Trigger created by Trigger users with high trion levels when they pour their life and trion into an object. Since the process inevitably results in the creator's death, Black Triggers are thus considered a legacy for the creator's allies. They strongly reflect the personality of the ones who created them. For this reason, they cannot be activated if there isn't compatibility between the user and the creator's personalities, a downside which normal Triggers don't have. On the other hand, the performance of a Black Trigger is incomparable to that of a normal Trigger.
These Triggers are very rare due to the sacrifice required to create them. Furthermore, luck plays a role in determining whether an individual will be capable of leaving one behind, which further reduces the number of volunteers. However, Side Effects seem to raise the success rate considerably. 7 years prior to the Large Scale Invasion, the planet-nation of Aftokrator had 13 Black Triggers, which is considered an enormous amount — more than twice that of Chion, another superpower in the Neighborhood.
The existence of these Triggers is a crucial factor for warfare in the Neighborhood. In wars, the winning side always tries to avoid pushing the losing one into a corner, fearing that the desperation will lead to the creation of Black Triggers. According to Replica, the past is rife with examples of countries on the verge of victory having to flee due to the appearance of a Black Trigger. This is especially the case in away missions where there is no backup; although it is very rare for more than one Black Trigger to be carried on such expeditions, as they are essential to the defense of a country from external attacks. An exception to this rule is the imminent death of the God of a planet-nation.
Known Black Triggers
Border's Black Triggers
Aftokrator's Black Triggers
Black Triggers of Unknown Countries
Ergates' Triggers (Anime Only)
Unknown Black Trigger
- World Trigger Manga — Chapter 16 (p. 7)
- World Trigger Manga — Border Briefing File (p. 310)
- Daisuke Ashihara: Q. 193: It seems that Black Triggers are left by users with superior trion abilities, but how many of the current agents might be able to leave one? A: Even for superior users luck is involved a little in whether they can leave behind a Black Trigger or not (so there aren’t many people willing to become Black Triggers voluntarily), but it is said that if it’s people with Side Effects creating Black Triggers the success rate rises quite a lot.
Source: Border Briefing File, Page 310, Question 193
- World Trigger Manga — Chapter 42 (p. 10)
- World Trigger Manga — Chapter 42 (p. 11)
- World Trigger Manga — Chapter 42 (p. 6)
- World Trigger Manga — Chapter 49 (p. 13)
- World Trigger Manga — Chapter 49 (p. 14)
- World Trigger Manga — Chapter 105 (p. 5-6)
- World Trigger Manga — Chapter 20 (p. 9)
|Basic Equipment||Bail Out • Radar • Trion Body|
|Attacker||Kogetsu (Kogetsu: Spear) • Raygust (Shield Mode) • Scorpion • Sōgetsu (Axe)|
|Gunner||Asteroid • Cobra • Gimlet • Hornet • Hound • Meteor • Salamander • Tomahawk • Viper|
|Firearms||Assault Rifle • Grenade Launcher • Handgun • Minigun • Shotgun|
|Sniper||Egret • Ibis • Lightning|
|Defense||Escudo • Shield (Fixed Mode/Full Guard)|
|Optional||Bagworm • Bagworm Tag • Chameleon • Connector • Dummy Beacon • Enhanced Radar • Full Arms • Geist • Gen'yō • Grasshopper • Idaten • Lead Bullet • Makō • Senkū • Silencer • Spider • Starmaker • Teleporter • Thruster • Timer|
|Prototypes||Connector • Dummy Beacon • Full Arms • Geist • Idaten • Makō • Teleporter • Timer|
|Black||Fūjin • Tsukihiko Amō's Black Trigger • Yūma's Black Trigger|
|Basic Equipment||Cape • Holographic Projector • Trion Receptor • Tracking Beacon • Trion Body|
|Horn||Chelidon • Lampyris|
|Black||Alektor • Organon • Speiraskia • Vorvoros|